News Sections
Audio
UPDATED - Teen Facing Attempted Murder Charge In Planned Attack At Seymour High School
Updated January 20, 2016 6:43 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SEYMOUR) - A 15-year-old student at Seymour High School is facing a charge of attempted murder in connection with the threat of an attack being carried out at the school in 2018.

Seymour Police arrested the teen Tuesday morning on the Level 1 felony at the recommendation of the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office. The boy is being held at the Jackson County Juvenile Detention Center in Brownstown pending an initial court hearing.

Seymour Police Chief Bill Abbott says it is unclear if the teen will be charged as an adult, if he is his name will be released to the public..

Police say during their investigation there there was a documented threat made against a specific student. That male student and his parents were made aware of the threat.

Seymour Community Schools officials uncovered a plot by at least one student to carry out an attack at Seymour High School on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting.

Superintendent Rob Hooker says a 15-year-old male sophomore has been linked to the threat and was suspended and could face severe disciplinary action and possible criminal charges pending the outcome of the investigation by the Seymour Police Department and Jackson County Prosecutor's office.

Pange added that any and all threats are taken seriously, and anyone being found responsible will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The student's name is not being released at this time because of his age.

The Seymour Tribune reports school officials discovered the plot after the student posted on social media and made verbal comments about the planned attack, which would happen two years from now when he would be a senior.

The attack was planned for April 20, 2018, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings in 1999 that killed 13 and wounded more than 20 others.

Pange says, officials learned of the threat late Thursday when a student was overheard by another student making comments about the alleged attack. That student reported the incident to a guidance counselor, who then involved administrators and the school resource officer.

Officials don't believe other students are involved in the plot or that the boy making the threat had been bullied, but that could change as the investigation continues.

Information about the attack is not being released so as not to panic students, families or the community and to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

On Monday, Prange sent a letter home with students to inform families of the situation. He also talked to teachers and students about the incident.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File