News Sections
Audio
Linton Man Arrested On Federal Extortion And Child Exploitation Charges
Updated December 22, 2015 1:18 PM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(DAVIESS CO.) - A case that began in Daviess County has resulted in federal extortion and child exploitation charges against a Linton man.

Police arrested 20-year-old Kenneth J. McCarter, at his apartment in Linton Friday. He faces several counts of sending extortionate interstate communications and two counts of sexual exploitation of a child.

According to United States Attorney Josh Minkler McCarter victimized children through violent threats over the internet.

"Threatening young victims into doing unthinkable acts like Mr. McCarter did, is not a crime we take lightly in this office," Minkler says. "Mr. McCarter will be held fully accountable for his actions in federal court."

According to a press release, the investigation against McCarter began last June when a 19-year-old woman began receiving text messages from a number she did not recognize. The messages suggested the sender knew the victim and stated he had seen her nude several times in the past. He further stated that if she did not send three nude photos of her to his number, he would post sexually explicit photos of the victim on Facebook and "tag" her parents, friends and employers. The sender did send nude photos of a female to the victim that did not show a face. The victim then contacted the Daviess County Sheriff's Department.

The teen denied posing any nude photos and claims McCarter was an acquaintance from the past.

Police says that McCarter's demands were straightforward, but finding him on the internet took some digging, because he kept changing his screen name and used aliases on Facebook.

Daviess County authorities this summer filed a misdemeanor count of harassment through social media against McCarter.

In the meantime Indiana State Police, FBI, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department and Barry County Michigan Sheriff's Department were also conducting investigations into McCarter's online activities. Last week federal officials pulled the Daviess County case.

In total seven minor and two adult victims have been identified and saved from further victimization.

Senior Litigation Counsel Steven D. DeBrota is prosecuting the case. He says McCarter could face decades in prison if convicted on all counts.

The case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals, who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims.
To find out more about Project Safe Childhood you can visit www,usdoj.gov/psc.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback