News Sections
Dillion Hicks Sentenced To 65 Years In Prison
Updated December 29, 2015 8:02 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Dillon Hicks was sentenced to 65 years in prison for the beating death of 43-year-old Rodney Allender.

Hicks pleaded guilty on November 30, to participating in the beating death of Allender. Allender's body was found by his son at his Heltonville home in the 1700 block of Dutch Ridge Road in February 2014.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, 18-year-old Hicks was be sentenced to 55 years on the murder count and 10 years on the conspiracy to commit burglary count, with the sentences to run consecutively for a total of 65 years. Sixty years will be served at the Indiana Department of Corrections with five years suspended to supervised probation.

Hicks, upon release from the DOC, would be required to register for life as a violent offender.

Lawrence Superior Court II Judge William Sleva says in exchange for the plea, the prosecution will dismiss a third count: robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, a Class A felony.

Hicks is the last of three teens charged in Allender's death. Austin Curtis and Taylor Flynn also pleaded guilty to the crime.

Judge Sleva told Hicks he had been thinking about the case a lot.

"I am normally not for a lost of words," Sleva says. "With some crimes you can understand why they happened, but that doesn't mean they should happen. But with this crime, there was planing and it was carried out. I don't understand that. The worse part is you all made the decision and knew the circumstances. You destroyed a lot of lives here including your own. I doubt a day goes by that the family doesn't think about what he (Allender) went through. I am sure your family had great hopes for you. Those hopes are long gone. I just don't understand."

Judge Sleva went on to say that their acts not only affected the Allender family, but the defendant's families, friends of both and the community.

Rodney's sister, Buffy Allender, did not want to address the court or Hicks, but in the middle of the sentencing she changed her mind. As with all the other defendants she asked Hicks to look at her as she spoke.

"I wasn't going to say anything..." Buffy said. "But as speaking as a parent, I just hope what I do say gets to your heart. You had a rough upbringing, but you had choices for your life - we all do. What you done hurt so many people and it can never be fixed."

She went on to state that she felt different toward Hicks then the other defendants because of his upbringing.

"In time I hope you see and feel what you done and will seek forgiveness," she added. "A much higher forgiveness. That's the only hope you have. My prayer for you is is that you seek that out - Do you understand?"

As a tear rolled down his cheek, Hicks shook his head yes.

"All we have left are pictures and our memories," She added. "You created that for all of us. We will never be the same."

Flynn admitted that days leading up to Allender's murder he and co-defendant Hicks had staked out Allender's home on several occasions. The teens believed Allender had a large amount of money in safes inside the home and guns that they planned to steal.

Then on February 27, 2014 Flynn dressed up like a girl and armed himself with a rifle and knocked on Allender's door. When Allender opened the door, Flynn shot Allender in the leg.

That is when co-defendant 19-year-old Austin Curtis struck Allender in the head with a baseball bat.

Both Curtis and Flynn told the judge that there was a struggle and Allender was hit in the head and face.

Curtis testified during his sentencing that he struck Allender once in the legs and once in the head. Hicks, armed with an air-rifle, also hit Allender during the struggle and Flynn hit Allender in the head with the rifle butt.

According to an autopsy report, Allender died from a closed head injury and blunt force injuries.

But before Allender died, the men tied him up with duct tape and repeatedly hit and used a stun gun on him until he gave them the combinations to his safe. They then ransacked the home, stealing money and guns.

Allender's body was found in his garage by his son and his son's girlfriend. He was lying on his side with a severe head injury and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers found Allender's home in disarray with furniture overturned, a door ripped off the hinges, a desk emptied and papers thrown around and two safes open and emptied. Police noted there was blood throughout the home.

Curtis was arrested on March 1, 2014 after being questioned by police and admitting his part of the crime. Flynn and Hicks had fled to Ironton, Ohio and were arrested the same day. They were extradited back to Lawrence County.

Curtis was sentenced in September 2014 to 55 years with the Department of Correction, with 10 of those years suspended. Of the 10 suspended years, five will be served on supervised probation and five will be unsupervised.

Flynn was sentenced in April to 65 years with the DOC, with seven years suspended. Flynn will be on electronic monitoring for three years, followed by supervised probation for four years.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File