News Sections
Audio
Bone Marrow Donor Drive To Be Held Saturday For Toby Hutchens
Updated December 8, 2015 8:08 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - A bone marrow donor drive will be held Saturday to benefit Bedford resident Toby Hutchens.

39-year-old Hutchens was diagnosed in May with chronic myelogenic leukemia. Toby is now searching for a life-saving bone marrow donor match.

Hutchens' friends and family have teamed up with Delete Blood Cancer DKMS to help patients in need of bone marrow transplants.

Every day, nearly 500 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with a blood cancer. While 30 percent of patients in need of a transplant are able to find a match within their family, this leaves 70 percent of patients in need to search for an unrelated donor match. The odds can only increase for these patients by registering more committed donors.

"Toby is an amazing friend. He would rather suffer in silence than to let anyone know he may need help," says Stephani Spinks, a friend organizing the donor drive. "He is always there for us and now it's time to be there for him. Toby is a fighter and we are asking the community to help us fight."

The registration drive will take place on Saturday, December 12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Park Place Church of God at 519 West Street in Bedford.

Registration is simple and consists of completing a registration form and swabbing the inside of the mouth. People ages 18 to 55 years old and in good general health are eligible to register. Anyone who cannot attend the drive can learn more and register online at DeleteBloodCancer.org.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File