News Sections
Audio
Bean Blossom Woods Fire Sparked By Extension Cord
Updated October 19, 2015 8:26 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEAN BLOSSOM) - A woods fire Thursday that burned about an acre and a half of woods, two outbuildings and part of a deck -- was sparked by an extension cord.

According to Jackson Township Fire Chief Glenn Elmore the fire was reported by the property owner in the 6300 block of Homestead Road at 3:30 p.m. The homeowner reported a grass fire was spreading with flames about 6-feet high.

By the time firefighters arrived the fire had spread to two sheds and a 1,000-gallon propane tank was "sizzling." The Chief says 25-mile-per-hour wind gusts and the dry tinder were fueling the fire.

The fire consumed six trees that were 75 to 100 feet tall. Two sheds were destroyed and a large barn had minor damage. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze saving the home.

According to Chief Elmore the homeowner has been using an extension cord to try to charge a battery on a lawn mower in the garage and a spark jumped starting the fire.

Firefighters were on the scene for more than 5 hours.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File