News Sections
Resident Uses Snow To Put Out House Fire
Updated February 24, 2015 1:57 PM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(JUDAH) - Thanks to a lot of snow on the ground a Judah man was able to minimize the fire damage to his home Monday morning.

According to Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Jason Martin, there was only about $300 in damages to the single story home on Judah Logan Road. Most of the damage was to about 5 feet of an outside electrical line that ran to the home

Chad Ritchison was alerted to the fire by his two dogs and called the Lawrence County Police Department just after 6 a.m.

Firefighters from Marshall and Oolitic got to the house at 6:23 a.m. because when Ritchison called the first time he gave dispatchers the wrong house number.

But once they arrived they had the fire under control within 13 minutes.

Martin says that the fire started outside of the home where an electrical service line went into the home. Ritchison almost had the fire extinguished by throwing snow on it.

Firefighters extinguished the remaining hot spots and left the scene around 7:18 a.m.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File