News Sections
December: Accused Murder Kills Himself, Robbery Suspects Stab Homeowners, Man Sets Fire At Dunhams
Updated December 31, 2014 7:55 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS
Jorrell Houldson
Tanner Stickney
cody lake-thumb-250xauto-2879-thumb-250xauto-2933.jpg
Cody Lake
kenzi cox-thumb-250xauto-2909-thumb-250xauto-2932.jpg
Kenzi Cox
taylor fire-thumb-250xauto-2954.jpg
Dustin Taylor

(UNDATED) - The body discovered in a shallow creek bed near Linton was accused murderer Jorrell Houldson.

According to an autopsy, 22-year-old Houldson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Houldson, of Linton, was suspected of killing his mother, Ruby Moon Houldson, on the morning of October 1 and a
warrant was issued for his arrest.

Tyler Lewellyn was walking along a creek bed searching for aquarium rocks when he discovered a body in a small creek in approximately 18 inches of water at a location in a ditch along Bolton Road near Linton. Lewellyn called 911 and the Greene County Sheriff's Department responded but were unable to identify Houldson.

Houldson was wanted for the murder of his mother Ruby Houldson. Her body was found by a friend at Ruby's home
south of Linton. According to an autopsy, Ruby died from more than 20 stab wounds to her neck, chest, abdomen and extremities.

Interviews were conducted, search warrants issued and forensic evidence was collected that implicated Houldson of the crime.

A warrant was issued for Houldson's arrest on October 31 after lab tests revealed blood that police collected from Jorrell's shoes matched that of his mother.

But, by that time, Jorrell Houldson was nowhere to be found. The last time anyone had seen Houldson was the day after the murder on October 2.

Bedford Mr. Gatti's Closes

Mr. Gatti's in Bedford closed its doors. Some employees received notice, others didn't.

The owners, Joe and Sandy Adams, posted the following statement on Facebook: "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are very sad to confirm that Mr. Gatti's has closed. Our sincere apologies go out to our wonderful staff, some who had very little notice or who we were unable to notify personally.

"Our efforts to remain in operation up until the last minute proved unsuccessful. We would like to thank our wonderful
customers for all their patronage and the community for all the years of support. We would ask for your prayers for all
effected, including ourselves as we all face some difficult times. Thank you."

Second Suspect Arrested After Found Walking Down Ind. 37

Two Mitchell men were arrested after a day-long manhunt.

Officers arrested 46-year-old Richard L. Cobb and 40-year-old Jason Dale Blake, both of Mitchell.

Blake was arrested after police received an anonymous tip.

Mitchell police took Blake into custody after they found him walking on State Road 37 near Mitchell.

Both men were considered persons of Interest in the attempted vehicular assault against a state trooper.

Blake was also wanted on a Lawrence County warrant for a probation violation.

The manhunt for the two men began after a trooper attempted to stop the men who were in a green Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck for a seat belt violation on Mill Creek Road.

After initially refusing to stop, the driver led the trooper to the Lehigh Cement Plant near Mitchell.

Once the pickup stopped, the driver waited for the trooper to walk up and, without warning, the driver attempted to
run over the trooper. The trooper was not hit and proceeded to give chase.

The pickup truck was located shortly thereafter, unoccupied near the Lehigh Plant, off of Meridian Road just north of
Ind. 60.

Police searched the Mill Creek Road area and set up a perimeter that included Mill Creek, Lawrenceport and Sams
roads and part of Lehigh Cement Company property. Mitchell Community Schools and Spring Mill State Park were
placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure, while officers, K-9s and an ISP helicopter searched the Mitchell area.

Heltonville Man Arrested On Arson Charges

23-year-old Dustin Taylor of Heltonville was arrested after he was caught setting a fire at Walmart. He is also a suspect in setting a fire at Dunhams on Dec. 12.

According to Bedford Police Chief Dennis Parsley, officers arrested Taylor after they caught him starting a fire in a restroom at the back of the Walmart store in the early morning hours of Dec. 13.

Officers were at Walmart investigating the Dunham fire when they were notified Taylor was in the store and had entered the rear bathroom.

"When officers entered the restroom, they found Taylor had started a small fire," Parsley added. "Officers extinguished
the fire and placed Mr. Taylor under arrest."

According to police, Taylor is accused of entering the Dunham store at 4:48 p.m. on Dec. 12 and lighting some cardboard on fire at the rear of the store near the where the guns and ammunition are displayed in the store.

"The store's manager, armed with fire extinguishers, doused the flames, but not before the store was filled with smoke
setting off the store's sprinkler system," Parsley says.

The Bedford Fire Department was alerted and spent hours ventilating the building.

Detectives began reviewing in-store video film and also found evidence at the scene that led them to Walmart to review store security film there.

"That is when they were informed the person they were looking for was in the store and had entered the restroom at
the rear of the store," Pasley added. "When they entered the restroom they caught Mr. Taylor in the act of setting yet
another fire."

Taylor was arrested without incident and no one was injured in either fire.

Taylor is also facing two charges of theft from an earlier incident along with two counts of arson.

Suspects In Orange Co. Stabbing Apprehended After Pursuit On I-65

20-year-old Tanner Stickney and 21-year-old Cody Lake, both of Bedford, have been charged with the crime that happened at the home of Robert and Donna Meehan on Dec. 4. 20-year-old Kenzi Cox, also of Bedford, stayed in the car while the men entered the home and robbed and stabbed the couple.

Both men are charged with felony counts of attempted murder, burglary, and attempted robbery resulting in serious bodily injury. Kenzi Cox is facing a felony charge of aiding, inducing or causing burglary with serious bodily injury.
According to a probable cause affidavit, on Dec, 4 around 2:45 a.m. the two men, wearing masks, entered the Meehan home though a bathroom window.

The two men approached the couple and demanded their medications and money. During the altercation, 54-year-old Robert Meehan was stabbed in the abdomen and leg and 62-year-old Donna, who is Stickney's grandmother, was stabbed in the neck.

Police interviewed the three suspects at the Shelby County Security Center later that night after an all-day manhunt.
The three were arrested after police attempted to stop their vehicle around 5 p.m. on Interstate 65, north of Columbus.

Lake told police he and Stickney planned the robbery and Stickney had taken knives "just in case." The two cut the phone lines and screen to the bathroom window. After entering the home they encountered Robert Meehan near the bathroom. Lake told police he saw blood and that Meehan kicked Stickney in the groin before running toward the back of the house. That is when Lake saw Donna attempting to call police. Lake told police he went toward her and made a swiping motion with his knife at Donna.

The two men then fled.

Stickney told police the same story except he explained that Robert Meehan had kicked him in the groin after he stabbed Meehan in the abdomen.

Stickney told police that he wished he had killed Meehan.

Cox told police that she knew the men were going to the Meehan's "to commit a burglary and to get pills." She added that Stickney was still holding a knife and had blood on his hands when he got into the car and that she knew the people inside had been stabbed because Stickney had talked about it.

The three were arrested in Shelby County after officers attempted to stop the three on Interstate 65 north of Columbus.

The pursuit traveled north on I-65, exited at the 80 mile marker, and traveled then east on State Road 252.
The suspects stopped near Flat Rock along State Road 252 in Shelby County and were taken into custody at 5:17 p.m. and jailed on charges of possessing a controlled substance.

Lake also is accused of resisting law enforcement in Shelby County.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File