News Sections
Audio
Fire Starts After Lamp Is Knocked Over
Updated December 4, 2014 7:29 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - A fire at 1712 14th Street on Wednesday morning caused extensive damage to a bedroom.

According to Bedford Fire Department Chief Jon Wagner, firefighters were alerted to the blaze at 9:36 a.m.

"We were able to extinguish the fire quickly," Wagner says. "It was out within minutes."

The home is rented by city employee Dennis Ashley. Wagner, who was also at the scene, was not sure who owned the home.

The fire started in a child's bedroom and was contained to that room.

"The child was playing video games and knocked a lamp over, breaking the light bulb," Wagner says. "These new light bulbs get extremely hot and that is what started the fire. You know how kids are; they get zoned into their video games and he didn't notice the fire."

The child escaped the home uninjured and ran to a neighbor, who is also a relative, for help.

Wagner says there was extensive damage to the bedroom and smoke damage throughout the home.

"There was no structure damage and the home can be repaired," Wagner added. "I just hate this, it will be a problem for them, its sad it being so close to Christmas."



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File