News Sections
Accused Murderer Jorrell Houldson Found Dead Of Self-Inflicted Gunshot
Updated December 2, 2014 7:33 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(LINTON) - The body discovered in a shallow creek bed near Linton on Saturday afternoon is accused murderer Jorrell Houldson.

According to a police and the results of an autopsy, 22-year-old Houldson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Houldson, of Linton, was suspected of killing his mother, Ruby Moon Houldson, on the morning of October 1 and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

At 2:30 p.m. Monday, Greene County Coroner Sherri Wilson confirmed the body was Houldson. Toxicology results are pending and will take some time to be completed.

Greene County Sheriff's Detective Sgt. George Dallaire also confirmed Monday afternoon that Jorrell Houldson's death appeared to be a suicide and there was no indication of foul play.

On Saturday afternoon, Tyler Lewellyn was walking along a creek bed searching for aquarium rocks when he discovered a body in a small creek with approximately 18 inches of water at a location in a ditch along Bolton Road near Linton. Lewellyn called 911 and the Greene County Sheriff's Department responded but were unable to identify Houldson.

Houldson was wanted for the murder of his mother Ruby Houldson. Her body was found by a friend at Ruby's home south of Linton. According to an autopsy, Ruby died from more than 20 stab wounds to her neck, chest, abdomen and extremities.

According to Greene County Sheriff's Department Detective George Dallaire, interviews were conducted, search warrants issued and forensic evidence collected implicated Houldson of the crime.

On the day of the murder, Jorrell Houldson was picked up by the sheriff's department and transported to the Linton Police Department where an interview was conducted, a DNA sample was obtained, and a photo of the suspect was taken, but at that time they did not have enough evidence to arrest him.

A warrant was issued for his arrest on October 31, after lab tests revealed blood that police collected from Jorrell's shoes matched that of his mother.

But by that time, Jorrell Houldson was nowhere to be found. That last time anyone had seen Houldson was the day after the murder on October 2.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File