News Sections
Audio
Bedford Fire Department Called To Two Apartment Fires
Updated November 26, 2014 7:26 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Bedford Fire Department firefighters were called to two apartment fires Tuesday.

The first fire was reported in the 1600 block of Central Avenue at 12:54 p.m.

When firefighters arrived the fire was smoldering, but the apartment was filled with smoke.

According to BFD Chief Jon Wagner, the occupant had left the apartment to go do laundry and when he returned he found his apartment filled with smoke and a fire in a bedroom. The man shut the door, left the apartment and called for help.

"When he shut the bedroom door he snuffed the fire out due to a lack of oxygen," Wagner says. "Firefighters found an overloaded electric outlet which overheated and caused the fire, which spread to the mattress."

Firefighters extinguished the smoldering mattress and ventilated the apartment.

"There was smoke damage throughout the apartment and damage to the mattress and the outlet," Wagner added.

Firefighters were then called to a fire at Park Place Apartments on Sixth Street at 10:44 p.m.

"There was no fire," Wagner says. "But the apartment was filled with smoke."

Wagner says the resident was cooking food in the microwave and forgot it was in there.

"It was in there too long," Wagner added. "Which caused the apartment to fill with smoke."



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback