News Sections
Audio
Greene Co. Man Dies From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, Wife Hospitalized
Updated October 15, 2014 9:37 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WORTHINGTON) - A Worthington man died Friday and his wife, who is in the hospital, is listed in serious condition after they were exposed to carbon monoxide.

According to Greene County Sheriff's Department Detective Jim O'Mallery, the furnace at the home malfunctioned filling the home with the deadly gas.

77-year-old John Davis was found dead by his son when he went to the residence about 9:30 Friday evening. Davis' wife, Peggy Davis, was taken to Greene County General Hospital, then transferred to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis for treatment.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. Too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe can greatly diminish your ability to absorb oxygen, leading to serious tissue damage and death.

The deadly gas is produced by appliances and other devices that generate combustion fumes, such as those that burn gas or other petroleum products, wood and other fuels. The danger occurs when too much carbon monoxide accumulates in a contained, poorly ventilated space.

Exposure to carbon monoxide is most commonly accompanied by the following symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Flu-like symptoms, fatigue
  • Shortness of breath on exertion
  • Impaired judgment
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Hallucinations
  • Agitation
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Drowsiness
  • Visual changes
  • Fainting
  • Seizure
  • Memory problems
  • Walking problems

You Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure

  • Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Don't heat your house with a gas oven.


« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File