News Sections
Audio
Bloomington Fire Department Hosts Carbon Monoxide Awareness Event
Updated October 20, 2014 10:15 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMINGTON) - The City of Bloomington Fire Department will host a Carbon Monoxide Awareness Event on Tuesday, Oct. 28.

This event will be done in partnership with the LOK Wishing Tree Foundation and First Alert, a producer of residential fire and carbon monoxide (CO) detection devices.

The event free to the public will be held at the event will be held at the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington, 311 South Lincoln Street from 3 p.m.to 6 p.m..

The event will include information regarding the detection and prevention of carbon monoxide-related incidents and activities for children. A limited number of free CO detectors and smoke detectors will also be distributed. Also, First Alert will provide a 20% discount on select carbon monoxide detectors.

A partner in the event, The Lindsey O'Brien Kesling (LOK) Wishing Tree Foundation, was created in memory of former IU student and Indiana native, Lindsey O'Brien Kesling, who was 22-years-old when she died in her Scottsdale, Arizona apartment from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Part of the foundation's mission is to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it, particularly in the coming winter months.

"Kesling fell victim to a silent killer," said Scottsdale Fire Marshal Jim Ford.

Kesling's story, as well as the recent tragedy in Greene County were a husband and wife died after being exposed to carbon monoxide, brings attention to the hazard that carbon monoxide poses without a detection device.

Carbon monoxide is impossible to notice without a CO detector as the gas has no discernible signs or smell. It is hard to recognize CO poisoning because symptoms mimic other illnesses and include nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain and vomiting. In more severe poisoning cases, people may experience disorientation or unconsciousness or suffer long-term neurological disabilities, cardiorespiratory failure or death. Nationally, 90 percent of homes do not have carbon monoxide detectors, even though these devices could prevent accidents like Lindsey Kesling's from occurring.

For more information about protection from CO poisoning, visit www.lokwishingtree.org. For more information regarding the event, please contact the Bloomington Fire Department at 349.3888.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File