News Sections
Worthington Man Arrested Following Struggle For Officer's Gun
Updated August 27, 2014 7:01 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS
brian Kreusch.jpg

(WORTHINGTON) - 49-year-old Brian Kreush of Worthington was arrested Saturday after a physical altercation with a Greene County Deputy.

Kreusch is facing charges of attempting to disarm a law enforcement officer, resisting law enforcement, battery against a police officer and possession or use of a legend drug.

The altercation happened after Greene County Sheriff's Department Deputy Harvey Holt was called to a property damage accident in Worthington. The caller reported that an intoxicated man had wrecked his golf cart in a ditch and was wanting others to help him get it out of the ditch.

The caller's husband had given Kreusch a ride home because he was having trouble walking.

In a court document, Holt called dispatch requesting a uniformed officer to go check on Kreusch, since he was armed but in civilian clothing. No officers were available, so Deputy Holt went to the home.

As Deputy Holt arrived at Kreusch's trailer, a woman met him requesting help getting some of her belongings so she could go somewhere else to stay, because Kreusch was intoxicated and possibly had been taking drugs.

Holt asked the woman if he could enter the trail to check on Kreusch.

Deputy Holt found Kreusch asleep on a couch, slumped over on his side with his pants around his ankles.

Holt was finally able to wake Kreusch and he was asked about the wreck and if he was injured.

Kreusch told the officer he had suffered six broken vertebrae from another accident, then grabbed his back and slumped over.

Kreusch told Holt he could not pay for an ambulance to come check him out, but Deputy Holt told Kreusch he was going to call for one and he could refuse treatment after they arrived.

Kreusch admitted he had about 12 drinks and that the only medication he had taken was for his diabetes.

At that point, the woman came into the trailer, told Kreusch she was getting some of her belongings and was going to leave.

Kreusch told the woman she was not going anywhere and then tried to stand up, but staggered toward the deputy.

Deputy Holt put his hand on Kreusch's shoulder to keep him from falling and that is when Kreusch told him not to touch him.

Deputy Holt told Kreusch to sit down and wait for medical help to arrive. That is when Kreusch became agitated and began yelling and accused the woman of calling police.

Kruesch then started to walk to the woman in an aggressive manner and Deputy Holt called for backup.

Kreusch then told Deputy Holt that he needed to use the bathroom, and the deputy told him he could if he would calm down.

Deputy Holt then asked the woman if there were any weapons in the trailer and she pointed to a taser on a chair near Kreusch.

Kreusch then told the woman to not tell police where anymore of his "tools" were located.

Deputy Holt then walked Kreusch to the bathroom, but Kreusch then told the deputy he was not going to do anything Holt told him to do.

Holt then attempted to handcuff Kreusch for the safety of both himself and the woman and that is when Kreusch janked his hands from the officer and attempted to grab the deputy. A struggle began and Kruesch was able to get Deputy Holt in a headlock.

Deputy Holt was able to yell at the woman to dial 911 and request another officer.

Deputy Holt was able to throw Kreusch to the ground even though he continued to keep the officer in a headlock.

As they both hit the floor, Deputy Holt's shoulder hit a plastic bathroom trash can which shattered. The officer escaped the headlock, but Kreusch grabbed the officer around the waist and attempted to grab the deputy's firearm.

"I told him to let go and I locked his hands on the top of my sidearm preventing him from releasing it," Deputy Holt says. "Mr. Kreusch continued to pull left and right but the double retention was locked and he was unable to release it."

Kreusch refused to release his hand from the gun. Deputy Holt, who feared for his life, was able to punch Kreusch twice in the nose, which caused Kreusch to release his grip on the weapon.

The deputy was able to get on top of Kreusch, but Kreusch refused to cooperate and put his arms under his body, preventing the deputy from placing Kreusch in handcuffs.

Deputy Holt hit Kreusch twice on the right shoulder and was able to get one wrist in handcuffs. Then elbowed the other shoulder and managed to get the handcuff on Kreusch's other wrist.

Holt then called the sheriff's department and told them to keep the line open until another officer arrived.

Deputy Holt says a large amount of blood was coming from Kreusch's nose and that his own right arm was covered in blood, with his glasses were lying in a puddle of blood. After doing a pat down ,Deputy Holt then administered first aid to Kreusch.

After other officers arrived, Kreusch allegedly apologized for what happened.

Kreusch was taken to the Greene County General Hospital for treatment. Deputy Holt also went to the hospital where he learned he suffered a sprained shoulder.

Police did find Kreusch had several Quetiapine Fumarate pills in his pocket.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File