News Sections
Washington Man Sentenced To 20 Years For Beating Grandmother
Updated August 7, 2014 7:33 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - A Daviess County Judge sentenced a Washington man to 20-years in prison Tuesday for hitting his 80-year-old grandmother with a rock in September of last year.

34-year-old Christopher Archer pleaded guilty to a charge of aggravated battery.

Four other counts including theft and battery with a deadly weapon were dismissed.

According to the Washington Times-Herald, Archer told the court he was high on meth when he attacked his 80-year-old grandmother Oneda Cornelius. Archer was living with his grandmother at the time of the crime. She was seriously injured during the attack, suffering multiple face and head fractures. She now resides in a nursing home.

After injuring his grandmother, Archer then took his grandmother's 2004 Buick, purse and cell phone.

Daviess Superior Court Judge Dean Sobecki told Archer if he could he would sentence to a locked up mental health facility with counseling he would.

Washington police were called at 7:18 a.m. Sunday, September 1, 2013, to home at the intersection of North East Fourth and Florence streets in Washington where a detective found an elderly Cornelius sitting on a bench with Harold Klingle.

The Washington Times Herald reports, Klingle told police he was flagged down by Oneda Cornelius, as he was heading down the street.

Cornelius, was unable to speak due to a stroke, and because she was severely beaten. She was taken to Daviess Community hospital and then transferred to St. Mary's Hospital in Evansville.

When asked if her grandson had beat her, Cornelius was able to shake her head yes.

Meade told officers that Archer was not allowed to take the car and Cornelius' purse and cellphone were locked in the car.

When police searched the home they found large amounts of blood, with most concentrated in the bedroom. Officers then found a broken stepping stone in the bedroom. They believe, according to a probable cause affidavit, Archer used the rock to beat his grandmother.

Washington Police Chief Mike Healy says on Tuesday, September 3, officers found Archer at the Daviess Community Hospital where he was being treated after another altercation not related to this incident.

After being treated Archer was arrested and charged with aggravated battery, battery resulting in serious bodily injury and battery by means of a deadly weapon, auto theft, and theft. His bond has been set at $1 million.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File