News Sections
Lightning Causes Fire At Kenray Home
Updated July 28, 2014 8:07 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(KENRAY) - Lightning caused a house fire on Kenray Lake Road early Sunday morning.

According to Shawswick Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Brown, firefighters were called to the Mason family home in the 1200 block of South Kenray Lake Road around 5 a.m. Sunday, after lightning struck the home, entered through the electrical lines, causing a television in a bedroom to explode.

Ten firefighters from both Shawswick and Gurthrie VFDs responded to battle the blaze.

"When we arrived fire was shooting out of the bedroom window," Brown says. "The fire spread into a closet catching clothing on fire."

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the bedroom, but smoke filled the small single-story home.

"We ventilated the home, but there was a lot of smoke damage throughout the home," Brown added. "The lightning was wicked. It was continuous and coming straight down. We were lucky we didn't have more homes struck. At times the lightening was lighting up the sky making it seem like it was daylight out."

Also assisting at the scene was Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Services.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File