News Sections
Bedford Firefighters Called To Home After Electrical Box Shorts Out
Updated July 23, 2014 10:12 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Bedford firefighters were called to a home on Hillcrest Circle after a report of a fire at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday.

According to Chief Jon Wagner when firefighters arrived they discovered the electrical service in the basement area had shorted out at Benish family home.

"We had a small fire, but those wires were red hot," Wagner says. "There was massive charring and melting to the entire 200 amp system including the main wiring from the outside entering the home. The homeowner must have been scared cause when that happens it sounds like a 20-gauge shotgun going off over and over again."

The short was caused due to age and vibration which caused the wiring to wear and then short out against the box, Wagner added.

"We called out Duke and they disconnected the main service at the pole," Wagner says. "They will have to have an electrician in to rework their service."

Wanger says 3 engines responded and the rescue truck along with 11 firefighters.

"They did a great job," he added. "They had to shut off the water and gas as a precaution. There was some water damage and light smoke damage throughout the home."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File