(UNDATED) - If you have plans to travel south of Columbus on Interstate 65 this weekend, you may want to give yourself plenty of extra time to reach your destination.
The Indiana Department of Transportation says that contractors for will accelerate their efforts to complete work by adding crews and working through the weekend along I-65 between Seymour and Scottsburg. INDOT officials say traffic back-ups could create significant delays.
This weekend's accelerated work schedule, along with a second acceleration weekend slated for July, is expected to shorten I-65's construction timeline-to-completion by six to eight weeks.
Instead of ceasing operations at 1 p.m. Friday, INDOT says workers will return to the I-65 worksite to labor around-the-clock continuously through next Friday at 1 p.m. There will be simultaneous lane closures at a number of locations, both northbound and southbound, between mile markers 52 and 29.
- FRIDAY EVENING: I-65 northbound left lane at mile marker 32.0
- SUNDAY EVENING: I-65 southbound right lane at mile marker 47.0 and 41.0
- U.S. 31 to Southbound I-65 entrance ramp (Exit 36/Crothersville)
- State Road 250 to Southbound I-65 entrance ramp (Exit 41/Uniontown)
- Lane closures for milling and paving at various locations
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com