Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Friday, May 16, 2014
(BEDFORD) - Lawrence County Police officers have arrested three Shawswick Middle School students after they allegedly overdosed on a legend drug at the school.
According to Sheriff Sam Craig the 14-year-old boys are facing a charge of juvenile delinquency/possession of a legend drug.
According to Craig, on May 6 the three eighth grade boys, one from Heltonville and the other two from Bedford, were rushed to IU Health Hospital after taking prescription medications. All three have since been released from the hospital.
After an investigation, information was passed on to the Lawrence County Prosecutor's Office for review and it was determined that criminal charges would be filed.
"We are not releasing what they took, but the drug was brought to school from a home. The juveniles were not taken to a juvenile detention center but will meet with probation and then move into the court phase," Craig says.
Prescription pills meant to help adults are hurting a growing number of children.
The latest victim is an 18-month-old girl who swallowed an entire bottle of her father's antidepressant medication Monday. The child was taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health.
Three middle school students in Franklin were accused of carrying and dealing prescription painkillers. Police say a teacher was tipped off when one student showed up to class stumbling and slurring his words. Officers learned two eighth-graders were apparently trying to sell the painkillers to other students. Police believe the students took the pills from home.
"The reality is that this doesn't have to happen," says Lawrence County Sheriff Sam Craig. "It could have been prevented if the medication had been in a lock box. Prescription drugs need to be treated like household cleaners - you lock those away when there are little ones in the home, the same goes for prescription medications. They need to be locked away."
Lockboxes can be found online, at area stores and cost about $20 to $30.
"This is just something that needs to be done in today's society," Craig says. "Parents need to educate their children about the dangers of taking these medications and using other drugs so something like the incident at Shawswick Middle School doesn't happen again."
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page