Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Monday, May 5, 2014
(BEDFORD) - If everything stays on schedule, bands will take a new stage when they perform in downtown Bedford this summer.
Bedford Plan Director Dan Kirk says work on the Harp Commons building and stage should be completed by mid-June.
The idea is to have the building ready for the BBQ At the Quarry festivities. While the basics will be finished then, Kirk says other amenities are planned.
The north side of the building will house restrooms, showers, dressing rooms and maintenance and office areas. The south side will be devoted to a concrete stage. Part of the stage will be under roof, and a garage-type door will seal it off from the elements. The stage will extend outdoors to the east. The project is being paid for with a $50,000 grant from the Indiana Office of Tourism Development the city received in the middle of 2012. The grant had to be matched with $50,000 in local money.
The funds also paid to save the sinking park, by digging, filling and re-seeding the lawn and other work.
The building, previously owned by Jim Jenkins, is on the west side of the park. The city acquired it with $40,000 from the general fund (not part of the grant money). John Hawkins of Kovert Hawkins Architects drew plans for the building free of charge, and city crews gutted the building to prepare it for its new use.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page