News Sections
Dog Dies After Being Left In Hot Car
Updated May 27, 2014 7:10 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMINGTON) - An employee of BloomingPaws veterinarian clinic and pet day care told police he left his German shepherd in his car while he was at work Wednesday.

The dog died of heat exhaustion as temperatures Wednesday reached 86 degrees.

According to Bloomington Police Sgt. Joe Crider, the 27-year-old man had let both dogs play outside of the car before learning he could only take one of the dogs inside. He then put the larger dog, a 14-month-old German shepherd, named Hugo, back into his 2006 Ford Taurus. The dog remained in the vehicle for almost five hours.

The man returned to his car to check on his dog only to find that the dog was not breathing and that he had forgotten to roll the windows down.

In an interview with the BPD, a female co-worker reported that Hugo's owner appeared panicked and upset about the incident.

Upon examining the dog and confirming that he was deceased, the co-worker helped the owner remove him from the car and place him in the freezer at Blooming Paws.

Police are warning motorists that animals should never be left unattended inside vehicles for extensive periods of time, even if the windows are rolled down. In warm weather, vehicles are often hotter than the outside temperature.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File