(BEDFORD) - The City of Bedford is currently accepting proposals from artists interested in creating a commissioned public art mural in downtown Bedford.
The mural project is one of Stellar Community projects aimed at enriching downtown Bedford. A committee will review proposals and make a recommendation to the City of Bedford.
Project Goals - The goals of the Mural Art Initiative are to:
- Beautify buildings in downtown Bedford in high visibility locations
- Celebrate Bedford's unique culture and character.
- Create a sense of pride among Bedford residents.
- Visually promote the benefit of the arts throughout the -community.
- Provide a positive impact on project participants.
About the Project
There will be two murals added to the downtown. Each mural project has a budget of $5,000 for an artist or team of collaborative artists and includes the artist(s) fee, supplies, travel-related expenses and other associated costs. The artist needs to be insured.
The artist will be required to apply a protective coating. The medium used (acrylic preferred) must be durable and able to withstand minor wear and tear and harsh outdoor elements for at least ten years. The mural will be located at the corner of 16th and H Streets, on the east wall of the Times-Mail building.
- Mural theme, "We Are Bedford."
- The wall size is 16'8" h x 52' long (867 sq. ft. mural.)
- The surface is concrete block.
- Preference will be given to Lawrence County artists.
- Preference given to projects that include community members.
- The mural will serve as a visual landmark and should be distinctive through use of design, color, etc.
- The design will be suitable and acceptable for public viewing of all ages.
- The mural must be completed before October 4, 2014.
Artists interested in creating a work of public art should submit the following materials by June 13, 2014 to be considered:
- A statement of interest.
- A narrative and drawing illustrating the concept, including supplemental information such as medium (acrylic is preferred) and approximate dimensions of proposed mural. The narrative should convey the artistic intent, colors, style of work, etc.
- A suggestion and cost estimate for a protective coating that will be applied to the mural after completion. The artist will be required to apply the protective coating.
- Itemized budget.
- Timetable (the mural must be completed before October 4, 2014).
- Maintenance plan.
- Resume, contact information and artist statement
- Support material such as examples of other works and/or reviews of similar work. Sample work list could include size, materials, cost and location of other public works.
- The proposal must be printed on 8 ½ X 11 paper.
The finished mural will be property of the business owner (Times-Mail.) The City of Bedford reserves the right to reproduce finished work for promotion and archival purposes in both printed and electronic form.
Please submit proposals by Friday, June 13, 2014 to:
City of Bedford
c/o Stellar Mural Committee
1102 16th Street
Bedford, IN 47421
If you have any questions about the Stellar Mural project, please contact Marla Jones at 279-6555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com