News Sections
Audio
Fire Destroys Linton Home
Updated April 28, 2014 7:03 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS
gcfire.jpg
Linton Fire taken at 9 a.m. Friday. Photo by Greene County Daily World Editor Nick Schneider

(LINTON) - Four area fire departments battled a blaze early Friday morning that destroyed a rural Linton home.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 6:17 a.m. and were on the scene for about six hours.

The Greene County Daily World reports that the home is owned by David Ross and is located on State Road 54W, near Ross' Floor Store.

Firefighters from Linton, Wright Township, Dugger-Cass Township and Fairplay-Grant Volunteer Fire Department in Switz City, battled the blaze and hauled multiple loads of water to the rural location. Greene County Ambulance Service also dispatched a unit to the fire to be on stand-by.

Heavy smoke from the smoldering fire engulfed the area for several hours.

Linton Fire Department Chief Brad Sparks says the home's floors collapsed into the basement of the brick home.
Sparks says the fire originated somewhere between the basement and the first floor. The state fire marshal will assist with determining the cause of the blaze.

Ross and his wife were home when the fire broke out, but were able to move some items from the house and then turn off the 'gas' to the house.

Sparks says the home did have smoke detectors that were sounding when firefighters arrived.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File