News Sections
Audio
Firefighters Called To Two Fires Thursday
Updated April 11, 2014 9:57 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - The Bedford Fire Department was called to two fires Thursday.

The first was at 5:30 p.m. at 2008 I Street. The home is owned by Jerry Melton.

When firefighters arrived they found wicker furniture burning in the front yard.

"The neighbor saw the furniture burning on the porch and had dragged it to the front yard and was attempting to put it out," says BFD Chief Jon Wagner. "It was a good thing he saw the fire or it could have been bad."

The fire damaged a door and window frame and cracked the window. No one was home at the time of the fire, but firefighters entered the home to make sure the fire had not spread into the home.

"We were lucky," Wagner added. "The wind was blowing pretty hard yesterday and if the fire had gotten into the home it would have been bad."

Wagner says the fire started after someone smoking on the front porch and had put a cigarette butt in an ashtray and it blew out onto the furniture.

The second fire was reported at 8:45 p.m. at 516 V Street. The home is owned by Steve Younger. The name of the renter was not available.

Firefighters were called to the home after the renter smelled smoke.

"When firefighters arrived they found a faulty light fixture/heater in the ceiling that had went bad and it threw the breaker," Wagner says. "The bathroom area had a little smoke in it, but there was no damage other then the fixture."
Firefighters checked the attic area to make sure the fire had not spread.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2014 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback