News Sections
Smoke Fills Bob Evans Farm Restaurant
Updated March 21, 2014 9:45 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD)- The Bedford Fire Department was called to Bob Evans Farm Restaurant Thursday at 10:05 a.m. after the building filled with smoke.

According to fire officials, the manager had evacuated everyone out of the restaurant before firefighters arrived.

"I was scared to death," says Manager Melissa Ling, "I smelled something burning and made three sweeps into the kitchen to check on thing and the odor was not coming from there. So I checked other areas of the building and then noticed the smoke was coming out of the ceiling tiles. I couldn't see any fire. I knew it was either coming from the ceiling or the roof of the building."

Ling evacuated the building and dialed 911.

"We had about 25 to 30 customers and 7 to 8 employees," Ling says. "Everyone was great and cooperated."

When firefighters arrived, they found a belt had come off the blower on the HVAC unit on the roof and had allowed smoke to migrate into the building. Firefighters disconnected the power to the unit and the building was ventilated.

"We did that by propping open the doors," Ling says. "The smoke was out of the building in no time and we were back to business as usual."

The firefighters praised Ling for her quick action and a "job well done."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File