News Sections
Fire Destroys Home In East Oolitic
Updated March 13, 2014 10:09 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS
oolitic house fire 3.jpg
oolitic house fire 2.jpg
Photos provided by Bill Raines
imp. oolitic house fire.jpg

(EAST OOLITIC) - Shawswick, Oolitic and Marshall Volunteer Fire Department battled a house fire Wednesday afternoon at 54 Mason Street in East Oolitic.

Susan Hillenburg, reported the blaze at 2:27 p.m. The home is owned by Kenneth George, who was renting it to another family. The name of the family was not available.

According to Shawswick VFD Chief Bob Brown, the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

"Everyone got out of the house before firefighters arrived," Brown says. "And no one was injured."

Brown says one of the six occupants of the home was taking a nap on the couch when they awoke to the odor of smoke.

"The fire started in a back bedroom," Brown says. "An electric space heater shorted out."

Firefighters had to work around downed power lines.

"There was lines down and sparking," Brown says. "But it didn't hinder firefighters much in battling the blaze."

Brown says the house is destroyed.

"The Salvation Army gave housing to the family for the night," Brown added.

TOPES was also on the scene assisting firefighters. Shawswick VFD arrived with seven firefighters and four trucks, Oolitic brought two trucks with four firefighters and Marshall brought one truck and two firefighters.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File