(NEEDMORE) - Firefighters from Marshall, Oolitic and Shawswick Volunteer Fire Departments battled a blaze at the home of Paul and Rosetta Root, at 542 Kentucky Hollow Road, Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters rushed to the scene because they were told Paul was trapped inside. Paul is disabled and uses a motorized scooter to get around.
But when firefighters arrived, they discovered that Paul had escaped out the back door.
"Rosetta had grabbed their small dog and escaped out the front door and thought Paul was still trapped inside," Marshall VFD Chief Chad Hayes says. "We got there quickly and were ready to make a rescue."
Hayes says the family was taking a nap when Paul woke up to the sound of "cracking and popping."
"He thought his wife had gotten up and was doing something in the kitchen," Hayes says. "But when he came out of his bedroom he saw smoke at the ceiling and the fire detectors started sounding. He then yelled for his wife to get out of the house. Paul then opened the pantry and was met with flames."
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire at the one-story home quickly.
"When were arrived there were flames and smoke visible," Hayes says. "After realizing everyone was safe and out of the home, firefighters did an interior offensive attack. But right when we entered, the fire flashed over in the kitchen. It took us about 15 minutes to get the fire under control."
Firefighters were able to save numerous items in the home, including the couple's medications, photos, jewelry, clothing, oxygen tanks and more.
Hayes says a wire coming from the attic and down through the ceiling had been spliced into another older smaller wire that could not handle the current and that was what started the fire.
Damage was estimated at around $27,000. The couple does have insurance and are currently staying at the Crest Motel.
Also assisting at the scene was a Seals ambulance crew, TOPES and officers from the Lawrence County Police Department.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com