(LIVONIA) - Firefighters from Livonia and Posey Township Volunteer Fire Departments battled a house fire in Southwestern Washington County Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at 10 a.m. in the 11000 block of West Providence Hill Road.
The owner, Pam Boling, told firefighters the fire started in the upstairs chimney of the two-story home.
The family tired to contain the fire, but failed in their efforts. Boling, her son Matthew and two grandchildren escaped unharmed.
Livonia firefighter Maylon Tenner says the fire spread up the exterior wall of the home and into the attic, but was contained to that area.
Fire officials say residents need to make sure flues are cleared of creosote and that chimneys and flues should be inspected once a year.
The home suffered extensive damage, but the family plans to live in the lower level while making repairs. But that will depend on the smoke and water damage.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org