WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Older Home Destroyed, New Home Saved

Last updated on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

(NORMAN) - Firefighters from Pleasant Run, Shawswick and Guthrie Volunteer Fire Departments were able to save a home from any damage after another home six feet in front of it caught on fire Tuesday afternoon at 10006 Hunters Creek Road.

Pleasant Run VFD Chief Bill Norman says the owner Michael Baker was building a new home next to his current residence.

"The fire started in the older home as a chimney fire," Norman says. "The exterior structure is still standing, but the interior was destroyed."

Flames were shooting out of the home when firefighters arrived.

However firefighters were able to save a lot of the contents, like Baker's gun collection.

The main goal was to save the new home.

"We had a really good knock down time and there was no damage at all to the new home," Norman says. "Firefighters did a great job, with the terrible conditions we were facing. With the cold weather the water was freezing as soon as it hit the ground."

Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Services was also at the scene assisting firefighters.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page