WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Firefighters Quick Response Saves Springville Home

Last updated on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

(SPRINGVILLE) - The quick reaction of firefighters saved a home at 1527 Popcorn Road Tuesday afternoon.

According to Perry Volunteer Fire Department Chief Max Peters, if firefighters had arrived five minutes later the home would have been fully engulfed in flames.

"The fire started because of an improperly installed wood furnace," Peters says. "We were lucky we got there when we did."

Perry VFD was assisted at the scene by Marshall VFD firefighters.

The home, built in 1951, was being remodeled.

"The bricks on the chimney had fallen off and the pipes were attached to wooden 2 by 4's," Peters says.

Peters was not sure who owned the home, but it was being rented. Denise Sparks made the 911 call reporting the fire at 2:15 p.m.
There was damage to the ceiling area and to the wall behind the wood furnace.

"It was a difficult situation," Peters says. "The house set back off the roadway and firefighters had to cross a small creek that had a concrete pass to get over. The concrete slab was all iced over. We had a more than 500 feet of fire hose out to reach the home."

Peters warns residents to be careful when using alternative heat sources.

"People get desperate when weather conditions become so cold, but they need to be safe about it," he added. "I imagine we will have more of these fires before winter is over."

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page