News Sections
Year In Review: Dustin Moore Found Guilty Of Causing Man's Death
Updated December 25, 2013 6:41 PM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - It only took only an hour in May of 2013 for a Lawrence Superior Court I jury to determine that Michael Dustin Moore delivered the lethal dose of heroin that killed 43-year-old William Alan Napier on April 10, 2010.

Moore was found guilty of dealing in a Schedule I controlled substance, a Class B felony.

Judge Michael Robbins sentenced 42-year-old Michael Dustin Moore to 20 years in prison with no time suspended.

Judge Robbins rejected mitigating circumstances saying Moore was seeing himself as a victim. He told Moore he was more focused on himself and other people that night, instead of focusing on the fact that a person died which also showed a lack of remorse and responsibility.
He also chided Moore for his lack of dedication to his children and family saying, his family offered support yet Moore continued to use drugs.

Napier was given the lethal injection by Moore at the home of Dayna Sorrells in Mitchell.

Sorrells and her friend Kristy Byers Fountain started their evening hanging out with Napier. Sorrells testified that she had been drinking and taking prescription drugs that night before the two women went to Jack's Lounge, looking for free drinks and more drugs. That is where they meet up with Gerald "Pappy" Pickett and Moore, who were attempting to get rid of some drugs they had purchased in Louisville earlier in the day. The five then left the bar and went to Sorrells rented home on West Brook Street.

Pickett was arrested at the same time as Moore and charged with dealing in a schedule I controlled substance, but died before he was brought to trial.

At the home Sorrells testified that she injected some of the heroin, that Pickett provided, in her bathroom. She testified that Napier was also wanting to take some of the heroin but wanted someone to inject him with it.
Pickett was unable to inject Napier because he was crippled and shaky. But Sorrells testified that she didn't see Moore inject Naper because she had "black out drunk."

Fountain testified to similar events and also admitted to drinking and taking prescription medication. Pickett refused to allow Fountain to have any of the heroin, because he didn't like her, even through Napier wanted to share.

At some point Pickett pulled out the heroin, put it in a spoon, added water and heated it up. It was drawn into a needle, and that is when the prosecution claimed Moore kneeled beside Napier and administered the drug, even though both women testified they did not see Moore give Napier the injection.

The four then left and went back to Jack's leaving Napier behind.

After the bar closed the four along with Rath Coulter returned to Sorrells' home to find Napier lying on a cot not breathing and called 911.

Napier was taken to what was then Dunn Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
After an autopsy, Forensic Pathologist James Jacobi determined Napier died from a heroin overdose.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File