News Sections
Fire Causes Major Damage To Washington Home
Updated January 8, 2014 6:57 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - An early morning fire on Tuesday left Washington residents Phil Chestnut and his wife seeking shelter.

The Washington Times-Herald reports, the home at 214 East George Street is owned by Laverne Pierson. The family was renting the home.

According to Washington Fire Department Chief Dave Rhoads the fire started because of a faulty outlet on an exterior wall that traveled to the rafters.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, but there was major damage to the roof trusses.

Rhoads says the wiring in the home was old and judging by the truss damage the fire had been burning for a while before firefighters arrived at 12:21 a.m.

The family returned to the scene after the fire was out to try and salvage some of their belongings and were going to meet with the Red Cross, for possible housing arrangements.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File