WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Break Room At RSI Recycling

Last updated on Monday, December 9, 2013

(NEEDMORE) - A fire late Saturday night damaged a break room at RSI Recycling at 4635 Peerless Road.

Firefighters from Marshall, Oolitic and Shawswick battled the blaze. TOPES was also on the scene to assist firefighters.

According to Marshall VFD Assistant Chief Jason Martin, firefighters are not sure where exactly the fire started but believe it was electrical in nature.

"The fire is currently still under investigation," Martin says.

The fire destroyed the break room.

"It was pretty well destroyed when we arrived. The room is about 20 by 15 or 20 feet," Martin says. "It also spread to a bay area that had aluminum dross in it. It was putting off an awful lot of smoke."

Aluminum dross, which is about the consistency of rock salt, is used to clean aluminum.

Firefighters had the fire in the break room extinguished in about 30 minutes, but firefighters had to wait about 30 to 45 minutes to hit the hot spots.

"They moved in some heavy equipment to remove the dross and then we were able to get in the bay area and extinguish the remaining hot spots," Martin says.

Martin says the business was able to stay open and the night shift reported for work Sunday.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page