(OOLITIC) - Firefighters from Oolitic, Shawswick and Indian Creek were able to extinguish a fire at Oolitic Manor quickly enough to contain the fire to the kitchen of one apartment.
"We had the fire contained within five minutes of arriving on the scene," says Oolitic Assistant Chief Ted Maze. "There is a lot of damage to the kitchen area, but we were able to contain the blaze there and prevent it from spreading to the bedrooms or other areas of the apartment. The kitchen area is destroyed."
Firefighters rushed to the apartments on West Ninth Street in building 502. The apartment complex is owned by Kenny Ryan. The fire was in apartment 2 on the upper level of the two-story building. Jack and Terri Wagner live in the apartment. Jack was not home, but Terri was. She escaped without being injured.
"It started in the kitchen area," Maze says. "It was kind of ironic, a cookbook was in the middle of the floor."
Maze says heavy smoke was showing when firefighters were en route.
"We could see the smoke from Hoosier Avenue," Maze says. "As soon as we got here we did a search of the building to make sure all of the residents were out."
Maxine Owen who lives in the downstairs apartment (Apartment 1) says she heard the smoke detectors sounding in Apartment 2.
"I wasn't sure what it was at first," she added. "Then I stepped outside and saw all the smoke. I am a nervous wreck. The first thing I grabbed was my great granddaughter's Christmas present. She is only three months old and got out of the building."
Maze says the other three apartments in the building do have smoke and maybe some water damage.
Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Services and an IU Health Hospital ambulance along with Lawrence County Sheriff Sam Craig and other officers were also on the scene.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org