WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Chicken House

Last updated on Friday, December 13, 2013

(BEDFORD) - Firefighters from two departments battled a blaze that destroyed a chicken house early Thursday morning.

According to Marshall Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chad Hayes the fire was noticed around 5 a.m. when a motorist noticed smoke and flames at a home at 593 Trogden Lane.

According to Hayes the 12 foot by 8 foot building was engulfed in flames when firefighters from Marshall Township and Oolitic arrived on the scene.

"Flames were shooting out of the roof," he added. "The owner, Karen Evans, was asleep and dispatched called and woke her and told her about the fire."

Hayes says the fire that housed around 8 chickens.

"Ms. Evans had a heat lamp in the nesting area," Hayes says. "Either one of the chickens knocked the lamp into the straw in the nesting box or pushed the straw up against the lamp."

Hayes says four chickens survived, the others didn't.

Firefighters had the fire out and left the scene at 6 a.m.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page