News Sections
Fire Destroys Chicken House
Updated December 13, 2013 6:58 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Firefighters from two departments battled a blaze that destroyed a chicken house early Thursday morning.

According to Marshall Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chad Hayes the fire was noticed around 5 a.m. when a motorist noticed smoke and flames at a home at 593 Trogden Lane.

According to Hayes the 12 foot by 8 foot building was engulfed in flames when firefighters from Marshall Township and Oolitic arrived on the scene.

"Flames were shooting out of the roof," he added. "The owner, Karen Evans, was asleep and dispatched called and woke her and told her about the fire."

Hayes says the fire that housed around 8 chickens.

"Ms. Evans had a heat lamp in the nesting area," Hayes says. "Either one of the chickens knocked the lamp into the straw in the nesting box or pushed the straw up against the lamp."

Hayes says four chickens survived, the others didn't.

Firefighters had the fire out and left the scene at 6 a.m.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File