(BEDFORD) - Bedford Department firefighters battled an apartment fire at 1026 1/2 16th Street Monday morning.
Thick smoke filled the sky for miles from the fire scene.
The brick building is owned by John Dugger, owner of Bedford Pool Hall.
"My son Eric lived in the apartment," John says. "He was asleep when his dog (a pit bull) woke him and he saw the kitchen area on fire."
The apartment building sat behind the pool hall and the old Carriage House building is not attached to those buildings.
Both 33-year-old Eric Dugger and his dog escaped the blaze unharmed.
"We are not sure what started the fire, just that is was in the kitchen area," John says. "He did have a gas stove in there but I am not sure if that is what started it."
Firefighters were on the scene most of the day, battling the blaze.
BFD Fire Chief Jon Wagner says the tar roof caused the area to fill with dark smoke.
"The building had several roofs, at least five or six," Wagner added. "It was too dangerous for firefighters to enter the building because of the damage to the roofs and the side walls so we had Tri County Engineering bring in an excavator to tear down the 25-by-40-foot two-story building."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org