(BLOOMFIELD) - Mike Hasler of rural Bloomfield, who currently serves as the Chief Deputy of the Greene County Sheriff's Department, has announced his candidacy for the office of Sheriff.
The Greene County Daily World reports, Hasler is a lifelong resident of Greene County. He and his wife Rita were married in 1980 and reside in Taylor Township. Mike and Rita have three adult children who also reside in Greene County, and they have two grandchildren.
Hasler graduated from Switz City High School in 1977. In 1980, he graduated from Vincennes University with a degree in Law Enforcement, and he graduated from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy the same year.
Hasler worked for the Bloomfield Police Department from 1979-1983 before joining the Greene County Sheriff's Department where he served as a deputy from 1983 through 1987.
In 1988, Hasler was promoted and served as Detective Sergeant from 1988 to 2007 giving him 19 years experience as a detective.
In 2007, Greene County Sheriff Terry Pierce appointed Hasler to the position of Chief Deputy (Major) where he continues to serve.
Hasler has specialized training and certifications in several areas of law enforcement including:
* Drug Investigations - Indiana Drug Enforcement Association
* Methamphetamine Investigations - Bureau of Justice Assistance
* Homicide Investigation - P.H.I. Investigative Consultants, Inc.
* Crime Scene Evidence Collection - Federal Bureau of Investigation
* Hostage Negotiations and Crisis Intervention - Indianapolis Police Department
* Search Warrants - American Criminal Justice Institute
* Interviewing and Interrogation - John E. Reed and Associates
* Chemical Test Operator - certified and completed training provided by Indiana University and the State Department of Toxicology
Hasler is a member of the Indiana Sheriffs Association; the Fraternal Order of Police 105 - Past President; Masonic Lodge 84; Scottish Rite; and the Sons of the American Legion Post 106.
Hasler intends to seek his party's nomination for Sheriff and said he will file in January to run as a Republican candidate.
For more information about Hasler's candidacy, visit "Mike Hasler for Greene County Sheriff" on Facebook, a page maintained by the Committee to Elect Mike Hasler for Greene County Sheriff.
"I've been privileged to have served the citizens of Greene County over the past 30 years," said Hasler in making his announcement. "And I would be honored to continue to serve as your Sheriff."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org