WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Home Near Leesville

Last updated on Thursday, November 21, 2013

(LEESVILLE) - Firefighters from five departments battled a house fire on George Johnson Road Thursday morning.

Firefighters from Carr, Pleasant Run, Guthrie, Brownstown and Owen Township responded to the blaze. TOPES was also on the scene to assist firefighters.

The home owned by James Baker was destroyed. He lived in the home with his girlfriend of six years Jennifer Brandt.
According to Carr Township Volunteer Fire Department firefighter Joe Barnes, the fire started in the rear of the home near a hot water tank.

"The home was fully engulfed when we arrived, but we were able to get it knocked down quickly," Barnes says. "We believe the fire started in the area of the hot water tank and is electrical in nature. But we won't know until we can get in there and take a look around."

No one was home when the fire started.

"I was on my way to work in Seymour when I got a call from my mom telling me the house was on fire," James Baker says.
Stephena Baker was notified by a newspaper delivery person.

"The man that delivers the Seymour paper stopped and told me the house was on fire," Stephena says. "When I got here the whole side of the house was on fire and smoke was coming out under the roof everywhere."

"I can't give enough credit to the firefighters and all they do," she added. "It was amazing. When I arrived there were fire trucks and firefighters everywhere. I was just amazed at the response."
Barnes says no one was injured while battling the blaze.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page