Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Thursday, November 21, 2013
(WILLIAMS) - Indian Creek, Williams and Oolitic firefighters battled the blaze that destroyed a garage, a 1997 Pontiac and melted the siding off the family’s mobile home at 103 Williams-Silverville Road Thursday afternoon.
Also responding to the scene was TOPES.
The garage is owned by David and Jamie Hays.
"My wife (Jamie) was raking and burning leaves when the fire just got away from her," David says. "Then the garage caught on fire and that is all she wrote."
Inside the garage, David had more than $3,000 dollars in tools, two 4-wheelers and a freezer full of meat.
"I just put a beef and deer in there," he added.
The fire also destroyed the couples Pontiac that was parked next to the garage.
"The garage was engulfed in flames when we arrived," Indian Creek VFD Chief Micah Keith says. "But we were able to get it contained quickly and save their home. But the fire did get hot enough to melt the siding off the east end of the home."
No one was injured while battling the blaze.
"I just feel terrible about this," Jamie says. "All I was trying to do was help out my husband."
David was at work when the fire started, but came home after a frantic call from Jamie. The family does not have insurance.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page