WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Chief Extinguishes Fire With Tupperware Bowl And Water From Sink

Last updated on Wednesday, November 6, 2013

(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan was able to extinguish a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon with a Tupperware bowl and using the water from a kitchen sink.

According to Duncan, firefighters were called to the blaze at 12:47 p.m. at the home of Charlotte Gerkin at 375 East Grissom Avenue.

"She was using a rag to wax the kitchen floor and then attempted to take a hot pan off the stove with the rag and it caught fire," Duncan says. "She then attempted to throw the rag in the sink and that is when the fire spread to the kitchen curtains and the cabinets."

Duncan, who was the first on the scene, was able to take a Tupperware bowl, fill it with water from the kitchen sink and extinguish the blaze.

"She was lucky she didn't get burned," Duncan added.

Firefighters arrived soon after and used fans to ventilate the smoke from the home.

"There was minimal damage to the kitchen area," Duncan says.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page