News Sections
Fire Chief Extinguishes Fire With Tupperware Bowl And Water From Sink
Updated November 6, 2013 10:13 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan was able to extinguish a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon with a Tupperware bowl and using the water from a kitchen sink.

According to Duncan, firefighters were called to the blaze at 12:47 p.m. at the home of Charlotte Gerkin at 375 East Grissom Avenue.

"She was using a rag to wax the kitchen floor and then attempted to take a hot pan off the stove with the rag and it caught fire," Duncan says. "She then attempted to throw the rag in the sink and that is when the fire spread to the kitchen curtains and the cabinets."

Duncan, who was the first on the scene, was able to take a Tupperware bowl, fill it with water from the kitchen sink and extinguish the blaze.

"She was lucky she didn't get burned," Duncan added.

Firefighters arrived soon after and used fans to ventilate the smoke from the home.

"There was minimal damage to the kitchen area," Duncan says.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File