(BEDFORD) - Lawrence County Coroner Rob Herr reported so far in 2013 there have been a little more than 800 deaths in the county.
Of those the Coroner's office and went to 105. Of those, 40 required full autopsies, 27 were external exams, 38 were consults, 8 were organ procurements and one was to examine a bone found to determine if it was human. Herr says the bone was the leg bone of a deer.
Those numbers were part of a report Herr gave the county council Tuesday night.
Herr also requested an additional appropriation of $11,725 to finish out the year.
"This will keep the budget sound for the rest of the year and we can start out next year without owing anyone," Herr says.
The council approved that additional appropriation and others.
* The council approved a transfer of $11,500 to the cum bridge fund for the purchase of a 1997 trailer to haul the county's chipper box and rubber roller.
* Approved the tourism budget of $254,415. Tourism Director Eric Marvin says 50 percent of the budge will be used to market and advertise Lawrence County attractions.
* Approved the additional appropriations for Sircuit Court, $15,303; Superior Court I $47,651 and for Superior Court II $7,651 to purchase new recording equipment.
* Approved the additional appropriation of $11,000 for the repair of a wall at the jail. The wall was damaged when two inmates attempted to escape by removing bricks from the wall.
* Approved a grant budget of $18,500 for the Health Department.
* Approved an additional appropriation of $200,000 for the building of bridge 75 on Mount Pleasant Road.
* Approved an additional appropriation of $12,000 for the Public Defender's Office to hire additional public defenders on case where there are more than three people arrested in one crime. This is done so there is no conflict of interest in representing the clients.
* Approved the additional appropriation of $28,000 for the ineligible Homestead Deduction Fund for the purchase of new computers.
* Approved the request for Sheriff Sam Craig to hire a new employee. He was also given permission to use commissary money to pay for officer and jailer overtime hours if needed and to pay for drug testing of employees.
* Approved the grant budget for the Domestic Violence Court. The court will begin hearing cases this spring.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org