(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Police Chief Mike Hardman and city officials have been closely monitoring the weather predictions for Thursday and due to the high probability of inclement to severe weather they have decided to change the day for trick or treating in Mitchell.
"We feel it is in the best interest of those who chose to participate in this tradition to change Trick or Treating from Thursday to Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.," Hardman says. "This only pertains to those going door to door as other activities set their own times."
Bedford officials as of 9 a.m. Wednesday morning report Trick or Treating will remain on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Shoals officials have also changed their hours to Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. because of the weather.
Those who wish to participate should have their porch lights on and those trick or treating should only go to those homes with their porch light on.
Hardman also suggest the following:
* Parents should check their children's candy before they are allowed to consume it.
* Only accept wrapped or packaged items
* Going to homes where you know the owner is advisable
* An adult should accompany young children
* carrying some type of light or wearing reflective clothing is advisable
* Chose costumes that are safe. They should be able to see readily from them. Not trip on them. And be visible to motorists.
* Watch for traffic in the area
* Report anything suspicious
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com