WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Man Suffered Burns During House Fire

Last updated on Monday, October 28, 2013

(EAST OOLITIC) - A candle left burning was the cause of a fire that sent one man to the hospital.

According to Shawswick Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Brown, Eric Luttrell woke up to his mattress on fire.

Luttrell dragged the mattress outside where it caught the lawn mower on fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 10:05 a.m. at 178 Walnut Heights Road.

According to Brown, Luttrell was taken to Indiana University Hospital Bedford by a Seals ambulance as he suffered second degree burns on hand and feet and smoke inhalation.

Luttrell's dog Bentley was thought to had died in the fire, but at 9 p.m. on Saturday Luttrell found Bentley safe. However Luttrell's other dog Roxie was over come with smoke and was found dead inside the home.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly but the home suffered extensive heat and smoke damage.

Assisting at the scene were Oolitic, Indian Creek and Marshall VFDs and TOPES.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page