News Sections
Man Suffered Burns During House Fire
Updated October 28, 2013 7:27 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS
house fire.jpg

(EAST OOLITIC) - A candle left burning was the cause of a fire that sent one man to the hospital.

According to Shawswick Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bob Brown, Eric Luttrell woke up to his mattress on fire.

Luttrell dragged the mattress outside where it caught the lawn mower on fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 10:05 a.m. at 178 Walnut Heights Road.

According to Brown, Luttrell was taken to Indiana University Hospital Bedford by a Seals ambulance as he suffered second degree burns on hand and feet and smoke inhalation.

Luttrell's dog Bentley was thought to had died in the fire, but at 9 p.m. on Saturday Luttrell found Bentley safe. However Luttrell's other dog Roxie was over come with smoke and was found dead inside the home.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly but the home suffered extensive heat and smoke damage.

Assisting at the scene were Oolitic, Indian Creek and Marshall VFDs and TOPES.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File