WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Lit Cigarette Possible Cause Of Fatal Fire

Last updated on Wednesday, September 4, 2013

(LINTON) - There is no foul play suspected in the fire that claimed the life of a Linton man Saturday night.

Linton Police Department Det. Duane Collenbaugh says 62-year-old Fred Saunders Jr. died from asphyxiation from the smoke. He added the home was completely locked up and it appeared Saunders could not get out of the home.

A 911 call was placed to the Linton Police Department at 8:25 p.m. Saturday and the Linton Fire Department was dispatched to the 158 SE 5th Street after neighbors saw smoke coming from the trailer.

While one neighbor called 911, another was trying to get into the home to find Saunders.

Firefighters had to break down the door and found Saunders on the floor, but he was already dead.
Saunders' dog also died in the fire.

The Fire Marshal's report is not finalized, but the fire appeared to start around the couch.

Police say Saunders smoked, and they believe he may have fallen asleep with a cigarette in his hand.

Collenbaugh says because there is no foul play suspected, there would not be an autopsy.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page