WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Man Dies In Linton Fire

Last updated on Tuesday, September 3, 2013

(LINTON) - 62-year-old Fred Saunders Jr. died from asphyxiation from the smoke in a trailer fire Saturday in Linton.

Linton Police Detective Duane Collenbaugh says police received a 911 call at 8:25 p.m. reporting the fire at 158 Southeast Fifth Street.

Both the Greene County coroner and the state fire marshal were called to the scene just after 10 p.m.

According to Collenbaugh, neighbors noticed smoke coming from the trailer and one called 911 while another tried to get into the house to reach a man who lived there.

When the Linton Fire Department arrived on the scene they had to bust in the door and found the man inside lying on the floor.

Emergency personnel removed the man from the home, but he died at the scene. His dog also did not escape the fire and was found dead. Collenbaugh says it appears the fire started in the living room or the kitchen.

This incident is still under investigation and will be updated as more information becomes available.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page