(INDIANAPOLIS) - For Indiana farmers, recognition for the work they do every day is nice, but not necessary.
They consider the thought and effort they put into protecting soil health and water quality part of their job description as a farmer.
On Wednesday, 46 recipients representing 37 counties from across the state will be honored as winners of the 2013 River Friendly Farmer Award.
The Crowe Farm Inc owned by Steve Crowe and Worland Farms LLC, owned by Daniel Worland of Greene County, and Cornucopia Farm, owned by Kevin, Linda, Michael and Jared Baird and the River Farm owned by David Souder are four area farms being honored.
The ceremony will take place at 1 p.m. in the 4-H Exhibit Hall Auditorium at the Indiana State Fairgrounds during Farmers' Day at the Indiana State Fair.
Lt. Governor Sue Ellspermann, Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development, will present the award to winners, along with Indiana Farm Bureau, Inc. President Don Villwock. Also on hand for the ceremony will be Indiana Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts President Jeff Meinders and Indiana NRCS State Conservationist Jane Hardisty.
2013 River Friendly Farmer Recipients:
1. Adams County, Rediger Farms Inc., Martin Rediger
2. Allen County, Byer Farm Service, Ned Byer
3. Clark County, Valley View Farms, Sam Hagest
4. Clark County, Dallas Lowery
5. Clinton County, Windy Lane Farms, Inc., Hal and Ty Brown
6. Crawford County, Bach Farm, Rollin Bach
7. Crawford County, Newton Farm, Marcus Newton
8. Decatur County, Smiley Brothers, Gordon and Jeff Smiley
9. DeKalb County, State Line Farms, Leon, Mel, and Ed Steury
10. Dubois County, Welp Homestead Farms, Inc., Mark and Brad Welp
11. Franklin County, David Hartman
12. Fulton County, Norman Farms, Michael Norman
13. Gibson County, Horrall Farms, Ed Horrall
14. Greene County, Crowe Farms, Inc., Steve Crowe
15. Greene County, Worland Farms, LLC, Daniel Worland
16. Hamilton County, Stewart Farms, Jeff Stewart
17. Howard County, Zell Farm, Dale Zell
18. Jay County, James Laux
19. Jay County, Andy Schemenaur
20. Jefferson County, Reed's Orchard, Wes Thomas
21. Knox County, Anson Family Farms, Mark, Michael, Douglas, and Daniel
22. Kosciusko County, Romine Farms, Brian Romine
23. Kosciusko/Fulton County, Paxton Farms, Brent Paxton
24. LaGrange County, Mishler Family Farm, Dewayne Mishler
25. Newton County, Prairie Park Farm, Warren Johnson, Jr.
26. Newton County, Strole Grain Farms Inc., Larry Strole (deceased)
27. Pike County, R J Adams Farms, Inc., Larry and Grant Adams
28. Pike County, Randy and Ron Leistner
29. Posey County, Reineke Farms, Steve and Tim Reineke
30. Pulaski County, Gary Culp
31. Putnam County, Cedar view Farm LLC, Ron Sutherlin
32. St. Joseph County, Whitmer Farms, Jim Whitmer
33. St. Joseph County, Doug Millar
34. Scott County, Bill and Mary Beth Comer
35. Spencer County, Freschly Farms, Dean Freschly
36. Starke County, Pflugshaupt Farms, Robin Phfugshaupt
37. Starke County, Greg Stone
38. Steuben County, Moody and Crew LLC, Tyson Franks
39. Tippecanoe County, Pig Alliance, Todd Welch
40. Vanderburgh County, Curran and Ann Miller Family LLC, Hugh Miller
41. Vermillion County, Cheesewright Farms, Kelly Cheesewright
42. Wabash County, Treska Farms, Gary Treska
43. Washington County, Cornucopia Farm, Kevin, Linda, Michael, and Jared Baird
44. Washington County, River Farm, David Souder
45. Whitley County, Jim Cormany Farms, Jim Cormany
46. Whitley County, Jagger Farms, Kevin Jagger
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com