(TAYLOR, MI.) - The Bedford All Stars Junior League World Series got underway on Sunday and the boys from Bedford found themselves in a dog fight with the Southwest region champs.
Bedford got up early but couldn't hold onto the lead as they fell to Lafayette Louisiana 3-2.
After both teams failed to score in the first inning Bedford fired the opening salvo in the top of the second. Tanner McBride led off the inning with a walk and then advanced to third base on a double by Austin Long.
The Bedford All Stars were in business with runners at 2nd and 3rd with nobody out, but strikeouts by Brandt Callahan and Brody Tanksley left the team with two out and still nobody home. A wild pitch by Louisiana pitcher Miguel Reyes allowed McBride to score and Long to advance to 3rd.
Logan McDonald came through with a two out single to score Long and give Bedford a 2-0 lead. But Louisiana answered back in the bottom of the second after Reyes walked and stole 2nd he advanced to third base on a wild pitch and later scored on a groundout by Max Jumonville.
Louisiana would tie it in the bottom of the third when Cain Castille drove home Brandon Duhon on an RBI single. The score would remain tied at two until the bottom of the fifth. When Tyler Miller ripped an RBI double that scored Duhon and gave Louisiana which proved to be the winning run.
The Bedford All Stars could muster no offense in the sixth or seventh in falling to the Southwest champs 3 to 2. Bedford falls to 0-1 in pool play and will play Goodlettsville, Tennessee (1-0) Monday at 8pm.
Bedford Stars Schedule
- Monday: Goodlettsville vs. Bedford, 8 p.m.
- Wednesday: Rio Rico vs. Bedford, 2 p.m.
- Thursday: Massapequa vs. Bedford, 11 a.m.
- Friday: International Championship, top two seeds, 4 p.m. United States Championship, top two seeds, 7 p.m..
- Saturday: World Championship game, international champion vs. U.S. champion, 2 p.m. (televised live on ESPN3.com; replay on ESPN2 on Aug. 21 at 2 p.m.).
- U.S. teams that do not advance to the championship game will play consolation games against international teams of the same seeding.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org