News Sections
Woman Suffers Smoke Inhalation After Dropping Cigarette
Updated July 29, 2013 7:46 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - A Bedford woman suffered smoke inhalation after she dropped a cigarette while on oxygen and started a fire.

According to Bedford Fire Department Chief Jon Wagner, firefighters were called to an apartment complex at 2305 30th Street just after noon on Sunday.

"When firefighters arrived the fire was going pretty good, but they were able to extinguish it quickly," Wagner says.

The occupant, a woman, was able to escape the apartment with the assistants of a neighbor, Wagner says.

"She was treated at the scene with oxygen," Wagner added.

There was extensive damage to the apartment from the blaze, water and smoke.

"The damage was contained to her apartment," Wagner says.

Firefighters did have to cut a hole in the roof to make sure the fire had not spread to that area.

Firefighter, using fans,ventilated the smoke from the apartment.

After the blaze was extinguished firefighters called Crowder's Healthcare Pharmacy and had a new oxygen machine delivered to the woman and removed the damaged machine from the apartment.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File